Friday, September 15, 2006

Korean War: By James Jett

Fifty-six years ago, I served in the Korean War, In August 1953 I received an Honorable Discharge. Just glad to be back in the States and home with the family. I did not worry about my records, medals, ribbons or badges. Aware that I had my Form DD214 in hand, I returned too civilian life and got married.

Last year when I had a need to contact the VA about health benefits and learn the procecures for applying for my Ribbons, Medals and Badges, I learn that in 1976 my records was destroyed by fire. Not a single sheet left about my time in the Army. Iwas told to send any and every thing I had about my stay in the Army to aid in replacing some of the history about my serve.

I became aware that many veterans will encounter the same problems if and when they need to apply for benefits. Usually, without your DD 214, no service or a long delay. So this is the number one reason I write this Blog.

No comments: